Monday, September 21, 2009

The Silent Encore


This one will be a short post because usually I write too much. My subject today is the Silent Order---a drink I first consumed at Boston's premier cocktail-serving establishment, the aptly named Drink. The Silent Order is a truly wonderful cocktail. Like a hooker, it goes down all too easy, but, unlike a hooker, it's a pleasant experience, which ultimately leaves you feeling clean and refreshed.

The Silent Order is a cocktail, the main ingredient of which is basil, which may seem strange, except really its not. It's wonderful, like I fucking said. Google search it and you'll only find one hit for the recipe, accredited to Drink, and it goes something like this:

2 oz Green Chartreuse
.5 oz water
.5 oz fresh lime juice
7-10 basil leaves

When I first attempted this drink, I did not have a recipe, and very much liked the idea of throwing in gin (for an added kick). The recipe is as follows, with my main bit of advice being to seek out fresh basil, and to be more creative with the garnish than I was:

1 oz. Yellow Chartreuse
1 oz. gin
juice from half a lime
large quantity of basil

Shake it over ice and strain it into a cocktail glass. The little specks of basil, I think, add character.

Since my recipe is a re-interpretation (like how all cocktails are re-interpretations, in some way shape or form), I do hereby name it the "Silent Encore."

2 comments:

  1. I`m a fan of using basil in cocktails and i think this recipe you made looks very tasty. The only problem is that i have only green chartreuse.
    Nice pic!

    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. That shouldn't be a problem. From my understanding, you can use just a little less of the more potent green chartreuse, and wind up with a relatively similar cocktail. I dunno, I'd be interested in trying it out!

    ReplyDelete